Moving my blog over to shawnmativetsky.com

Dear friends,

With the recent update of my website, I now have the ability to integrate the blog directly into the website, so that is what I am doing; it just makes sense. I will no longer be posting updates here. Thank you to all of you for your interest in my musical adventures. Please click along to my website for the continuation of this blog in the future! If you would like to update your RSS subscription, this is the new RSS URL: http://shawnmativetsky.com/blogs/blog.atom

I hope to see you over at shawnmativetsky.com!

Shawn

Saturday 17 November 2012

Sitar Two Ways

Those of you who have been following the blog know that I regularly accompany sitarist Uwe Neumann, as well as play with him in the fusion group Ragleela. These days, we are playing together quite a lot, in preparation for Ragleela's upcoming CD which will be recorded in December.

On October 19, Ragleela headed out to fabled Saint-Elie-de-Caxton, in rural Quebec. The village was made famous by storyteller Fred Pellerin, and the gnomes that are all over the place; yes, gnomes! There is even a gnome (lutin in French) crossing sign, right near where we played, the Rond Coin.


With the upcoming recording, this concert was all about road-testing the new material, with guest bassist Cédric Dind-Lavoie. It was also only the second concert with Jean-Marc on his new custom-made 7-string guitar, and with me playing the 'tabla-kit'. The more I play it, the more I enjoy it, and it really brings in some nice variety to the percussive timbres in the performance.






And then, this past October 26, I accompanied Uwe for a classical concert at the Sivananda Yoga centre, in downtown Montreal. It's always such as pleasure to play there, as it is such an intimate setting. The audience is always so very attentive and really gets immersed in the music.


As always, thank you to Caroline Tabah for the photos!

No comments: