Moving my blog over to shawnmativetsky.com

Dear friends,

With the recent update of my website, I now have the ability to integrate the blog directly into the website, so that is what I am doing; it just makes sense. I will no longer be posting updates here. Thank you to all of you for your interest in my musical adventures. Please click along to my website for the continuation of this blog in the future! If you would like to update your RSS subscription, this is the new RSS URL: http://shawnmativetsky.com/blogs/blog.atom

I hope to see you over at shawnmativetsky.com!

Shawn

Sunday 15 January 2012

Celebrating Guru Purnima in London, Summer 2011

Guru Purnima is a very special time of year for any chela (disciple). Usually occurring some time in the month of July, this day is devoted to celebrating the Guru. While I have celebrated Guru Puja numerous times in previous years, this is the first time that I was with Gurujee on the actual day of Guru Purnima, according to the Hindu calendar. For this past year, Guru Purnima fell on July 15.


Photos by Caroline Tabah
Guru-bhais (fellow disciples) and students from all over the UK were in attendance, as well as a couple of us who traveled from North America. Little did any of us know that this would be our last Guru Purnima with Gurujee. Looking back on the photos, we all had a great time, and this day made for some especially fond memories. Gurujee always loved when we all came together, as a big family. A special moment that I will always be thankful for.


Chatting with the Sahai family in Benares via Skype


Photos by Caroline Tabah
Aside from Guru Purnima, I was in London to spend time with Gurujee and continue my tabla studies. While I was there, I accompanied kathak dance classes at Sangeet College, given by dancer Mansi Dabral, and assisted in teaching the tabla classes as well. Surprise, surprise! There was a class concert organised to take place in a week's time at the Harrow Arts Centre, and I was to accompany Mansi in a short performance. Great, but this was a short time to put together a kathak performance!

After all the students had given their performances, we came on stage to conclude the concert. With Dr. Frances Shepherd on harmonium, and myself on tabla, we accompanied Mansi in her performance, which was met by great praise from the audience!

Photo by Deepak Uniyal
Photo by Caroline Tabah
Photo by Caroline Tabah

No comments: